One of the disadvantages of going on exchange can be the costs. It is often (not always!) more expensive than a semester at UCR. To make sure that everything works out, we have listed all possible costs and grants below.

Some universities also want you to hand in a financial plan and UU requires this as part of their application. If your host university asks for proof of funds, you may use various sources: your bank account, parental contributions, but also (proof of) scholarships, grants and loans, including the DUO loan and Dutch OV reimbursement. But even if this isn't required, make sure you get your finances straight!
UCR costs
First of all, there are some permanent costs that continue, even when you're not at UCR.
Tuition Fee
While you are on exchange, you still need to pay your tuition fee to UCR. You do not have to pay any tuition to your exchange university, as long as you are going to any of the UU or UCR programs.
Room Rent
In addition, you also still have to pay the rent of your room to Villex. Whilst away on exchange, you may be able to sublet your room - check the subletting page for everything you need to know.
Exchange costs
Generally speaking, each university has an indication of the expenses for an international student for one year on their website. You can subtract the tuition fee payments and divide the amount in half (to indicate one semester) to get a rough estimate of your expenses while abroad.

Of course, lifestyle, distance and accommodation play a big role in your actual costs.
In many cases, this is the most expensive part of your exchange experience. In order to keep the costs as low as possible, make sure you check out all the possible accommodations. It is recommended that you ask a student who already went on exchange to this location about those options. A lot of universities have special accommodation locations that are meant for exchange students. Also, do not forget to check whether a meal plan is provided or not, in some cases this may even be required.
A flight ticket can be quite expensive. The best way to get a reasonably cheap ticket is to buy it far in advance, although it is recommended to wait until your host university approves your exchange request. There are various websites offering cheap tickets, so make sure you check out different airlines before you book.

Keep in mind you may wish to travel within your host country as well, plan some budget for this too if possible.
In many cases you will need to apply for a residence visa. Your host university will guide you in this process by providing you with as much information as possible. Visa application and costs vary widely; it is impossible to describe all aspects of this process here. One important thing to note is that you must read everything related to this process as carefully as possible and do not hesitate to ask questions to the host university or the embassy representing that country. It is important to get this process right the first time so you can travel to your host university as scheduled.
The estimated costs of books are often given on the website of the university. It depends per university whether the books are cheaper or more expensive in comparison with the books at UCR. Ordering your books online could save you money. In certain countries there are programs that allow you to borrow books very easily, and some schools have very well-supplied libraries, so check out these options before you spend a lot of money. In the USA it is also common to have a used-book section in the campus bookstore, allowing you to purchase your books at a reduced price.
What you spend on food differs a lot among the different universities and countries. First of all, you have to find out what the general price level is of the particular country. In addition, it might be the case that your accommodation offers or requires a meal plan. The cost estimates for food at universities are often very broad, because there is a lot of variation possible.
Health and travel insurance does not have to be very expensive, but do make sure you have one. You might get in trouble and end up with very high costs if you require assistance without being properly insured. Always check with your insurance provider to inquire if you are covered while living abroad for a few months. In some cases, like at American universities, you may be required to register for the insurance provided via the university as they often have on-campus health services.
Public Transport
This also differs a lot per destination. At some universities you will live on campus and you will not need public transport. In other cases you might live further away from your university and you will need public transport to get there. This is something to keep in mind when deciding where you want to live.
If you are going on exchange to another university in Europe (EU/EEA), you may apply for the Erasmus+ grant, which helps cover the extra travel and living costs. More information about the Erasmus grant and the application procedure can be found on their website, or the UU website. Dutch students who receive studiefinanciering voor uitwonenden will keep receiving this, even when they get the Erasmus grant.

In addition to this, you can always check if there are any grants available on grant finder Nuffic.

All students with an OV-chipkaart (the Dutch public transportation card) may apply for OV reimbursement and must cancel their OV-card during their stay abroad.